Sunday, August 21, 2011

Saturday's Walk - 8/20/2011


All week I have been starting my walks around 8:15am because school had started.  Today, because it was Saturday, I thought I would go for the early morning 6:30am walk.  I'm up early and out the door by 6:00am.

When I arrive at the pier, getting out of the car, first thing I notice is that there is absolutely no breeze at all.   I look to the flags to confirm it.


It also feels very humid.  After starting late all week, I thought it would feel cooler to me at this time of the morning, but I think it is actually warmer than a few late mornings this week.

As I head up the ramp for my pit stop, I see my Stretch and RN.


They are down by the waters edge.  When I finally make my way down to the beach they are gone.  I don't see them the rest of the morning.

The water is on the calm side, but not as calm and serene as earlier in the week.  It doesn't seem as clear today as it has the past few days.

Before I start I try to get some pictures of the sunrise.


I take a bunch but my camera seems to not be focusing in right.  This was the best out of about 15 pictures.

I get a few pictures once the sun is up higher.  Looking at the pictures it looks more like a sunset than a sunrise.  However, it is the sun rising out above the gulf.



As I peer into the water today.  Not much going on.  Actually at first it is hard to see in the water.  As I walk along it clears up a bit.  There are a few fish floating around.  I see one gar and a couple other little fish swimming around.

Then this little school of fish swims by.


They follow me along my walk.  I keep running into them.  After yesterday's excitement in the water, this all seems sort of boring.

Until:


A large school of stingrays swims by!


They swim really close together and really fast.


I have to run along the shore to keep even with them.









OK, I could watch these stingrays all day!  As I walk along looking for more stingrays, I notice that the beach is really steep in parts.  At the top of the steep part, it is now hard flat sand.  However, I don't want to walk here today (normally I would) because it is too far out of the water.  And I want to be able to get more pictures of the stingrays if I can.

After watching the stingray as they swim close to the shore, I have decided that the disturbances that I see out on the water are probably the stingray swimming through a school of fish.



Suddenly,farther out something catches my eye.  I see some dolphins!  I get excited!  There seems to be a lot of them today.  Usually it is just one or two.  Finally, I get a good video of them!


There are several groups of the dolphins today.  I watch them for about 5 minutes.

I move on and come across more stingrays!



By watching the stingray, I have noticed that they don't like to swim over the seaweed.  They will come close to the shore except when that bar of seaweed is there.  They don't seem to cross it.  A couple stingrays came swimming right at me then they turned and swam down the shore.  There was a bar of seaweed and they were on my end of the seaweed.  They got in a fight and then took off.


When they saw the seaweed and tried to get out, they started flapping at each other.  One got away and swam back out from the seaweed.  I lost track of the other one.  He must have ended up going over the seaweed.

Towards the end of my walk today, I notice that I can see in the water better than when I first arrived.  I think once the sun rises up it must light up the water, make it easier to see in it.  So for tomorrow's walk (Sunday) I think I am going to try going a bit later and see if I can see in the water better.  I'm thinking that this 8:15am walk isn't turning out so bad after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment